In My Kitchen: January 2012

In My Kitchen, January 2012

Note: I wrote this post in January for Celia’s Fig Jam and Lime Cordial blog feature but forgot to release it from the Pending folder. I hope that ‘better late than never’ applies here.

This marvellous little gadget was a Christmas gift from my son. A gift from him to my husband, actually, but there were 2 filters in the box so I reckon it’s okay for me to show you mine.

It is a loose leaf tea filter.

Turn on the kettle, and then put some tea leaves into the bottom of clear, plastic filter.

Attic tea filter

Pour boiling water into the filter, close the lid, and wait until the tea finishes brewing.

Now set the filter on top of your cup or mug. Setting it on your cup causes a lever to move and release all the tea into your mug.

Now dig a little hole in the soil of your garden border and tip the tea leaves into the hole. It’s great for conditioning your soil.

Totally nifty gadget and brilliant gift. Here’s a link where you can buy it. I’ve also seen it on Amazon’s site.

18 Comments Add yours

1. Monica says:

My mom has a device that is very similar to this. It’s very handy!

1. Misk Cooks says:

I absolutely love it. So easy to clean, too. 🙂

2. Misk, yet another thing I’ve never seen before! Thank you!🙂

1. Misk Cooks says:

If you ever see one, grab it – it’s brilliant! 🙂

3. heidiannie says:

That is really a great way to use loose tea- it keeps from having to scrub out the tea pot!
    I’ll have to keep an eye out for one.
    Thanks, Misk.

1. Misk Cooks says:

Amazon UK has it so maybe Amazon USA does, too! 🙂

4. ceciliag says:

I saw one of these in a tea shop once, but how do i fit my tea cosy over it?! lovely pressie! c

1. Misk Cooks says:

Knit a new tea cosy? 😉

5. Tandy says:

I love it! You can use herbs as well for sure🙂

1. Misk Cooks says:

Absolutely! It would be perfect for dried or fresh herbs. I must try some fresh mint leaves in it this summer.

6. Awesome pressie! Never seen a tea filter like this before.🙂 Mandy

1. Misk Cooks says:

My son bought it in a specialty tea shop in Brighton.

7. Misky, I am so glad I found your blog! Love it. I wonder, would you be interested in me publishing some of your food verse on my site? Looking forward to hearing from you. Warm regards.

1. Misk Cooks says:

Thank for the compliment. I just had a look at yours – beautiful photos and delicious food. Regarding peoms, which one(s) would you want to reproduce on your page?

8. Joanna says:

Attic tea is down the road from us in Coldharbour Lane, Bristol. Lovely tea room where they do specialist tea tastings as well as run a tea room. I buy some of my tea there when I don’t get it from Jing. Mitchdafish is a fan of Attic too! The celestial tea makers are available from them and other online sources. I love mine. It’s very good for people with rsi or weak wrists who have difficult lifting teapots. The old sort used to let the tea through slower than the updated version does, that’s my only gripe with the new model, it’s a bit speedy. Brian discovered that you can take it apart to clean as well, as they do get a bit silted up over time.

1. Misk Cooks says:

Yes, the first time we used it we put enough water and tea leaves for 2 cups. When it came time to ‘decant’ the tea into the cup, we rather made a mess of it — tea overflowing and dripping all over the worktop. We have the hang of it now but the first time was a bit of a disaster.

I drink Celestrial’s Sleepytime before bed almost every evening. I love the flavour of it.

I’m also quite fond of the Chinese tea, “Century’s Best Puerh”, that a friend sends me from the Wah Fong tea shop in Hong Kong. If you’re interested, here’s an interesting article about it this type of tea.

9. Joanna says:

I have sampled some very elderly Puerhs, they get hugely expensive though, so I am trying to restrain my tea purchasing habit. Have a look at Jing’s website for some wonderful teas imported here.

1. Misk Cooks says:

Thank you for the heads-up on Jing’s. Such a wonderful website with so many interesting teas!

Please Leave a Comment. I'd Love to Hear From You.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s