How To Dry Lettuce Leaves

No Salad Spinner? No Problem.

I don’t have a salad spinner. I don’t want a salad spinner. I don’t have room in my kitchen for a salad spinner. So what’s a girl who loves her salads to do? Do it free, do it fast, and do it the Misky way!

Misky Method: Rinse your lettuce leaves in very cold, icy water for 2-3 minutes. the water should be cold enough to shock the little darlings and cold enough to make your hands ache from the iciness. It will crisp the leaves up like you never thought possible. Drain them, cut or tear into pieces, and then lay them in a large tea towel.

Now roll the towel so the lettuce is in the middle of the roll, and the towel forms a sausage shape lengthwise.

Twist the ends closed, and now grab both ends of the towel with one hand. Go outside, and swing the towel around in large sweeping circles about 10 times. The centrifugal force of spinning the towel around in big circles ‘pulls’ the water off the leaves into the towel. You’ll be amazed just how wet your towel is afterward.

And all done! The unbruised, dried lettuce leaves are ready for your salad dressing.

So are you a salad spinner gadget person or a towel spinner? Do you have a favourite kitchen tips you’d like to share? Your comments are welcome below!

20 Comments Add yours

1. Will says:

I’d heard of this method before, but I haven’t tried it yet. However, my first batch of salad leaves have hit harvest time, so I’ll be having a go any time now!

Thanks Misky!

Leavened Heaven: My Search for Sarnie Shangri-La

1. Misky says:

What dressing do you like on your salad leaves, Will?

1. Will says:

To be honest, I’ve not been all that adventurous as of yet, so some form of vinegar/oil combo usually does the trick, with some mustard if I’m feeling devil-may-care!

Any recommendations?

2. caro says:

thats how my mum always used to do it

3. Glenda says:

Misky, I am with you. I am a tea towel shaker.

4. ceciliag says:

Completely perfect, i often then pop the whole thing tea towel and all into the fridge to wait for dinner.. the damp towel keeps them extra crispy.. where have you been Misky, i missed you!! Or has my inbox been up to trickery again! c

1. Misky says:

Still on holiday, my dear. Splashing in waves on Waikiki Beach with my adorable grandchildren. Surf’s up!

5. I wondered where you were going with this, and then yes the classic spin! So well described !!

1. Misky says:

Thanks, Claire!

6. Gerry Wilson says:

I’ve done this! It really works. Next time, I’ll try the ice water bath. That’s new to me, but it makes sense. Thanks, Misky.

1. Misky says:

The icewater bath is used in lots of restaurants to crisp up leaves! It works wonders on tired lettuce.

7. It does work, doesn’t it!

1. Misky says:

It sure does! 🙂

8. Perfect, dry leaves AND a workout, all at the same time!🙂

9. ray says:

Yes I have used this method and it work’s just fine. Who has space for a salad spinner?🙂

10. Editor says:

Reblogged this on Diary of an Irish Country Wife and commented:
    Handy tips here for spinning salad leaves without a spinner – I almost got it right..but a few extra tips makes this great

11. Well how fun is that? Can’t wait to try. I can imagine the looks I’ll get from all our farm animals while I “swing lettuce” on our back porch!

Please Leave a Comment. I'd Love to Hear From You.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s