In My Kitchen: July 2014

In My Kitchen: July 2014

We are just returned from a relaxing holiday on Bornholm, which is a small Danish island in the middle of the Baltic Sea off the coast of Sweden. Lots of fresh air, long walks, gorgeous food and endless hours of daylight. It truly is the land of the midnight sun in June!

In my kitchen is a very unusual vase that I bought on Bornholm. We watched the glass-blower create it while we waited. It’s three small beakers held together with a leather strap. The flowers are from my garden.

In my kitchen is our favourite comfort food: Toad in the hole. This is Claire’s recipe. You’ll find it at Promenade Plantings.   I highly recommend her version, and hope she’ll forgive my using little-piggy-pork sausages rather than the vegetarian sort. I served it with buckets of onion gravy.

In my kitchen are fresh cherries from the neighbour’s tree. I gave her a ziploc bag of fresh herbs in exchange.

In my kitchen is a bowl of berry-cherry compote made from the last of 2013’s frozen blackberries, raspberries, some of those cherries I mentioned above, plus a big container of blueberries with a marked-down price at the supermarket. I added a bit of arrow root to thicken the compote as Splenda doesn’t cooperate with the natural pectin in the berries, which is minimal at best anyway. I used a splash of cider vinegar as the acid to balance the sweetness of the Splenda, which to be honest I’m not keen on flavour-wise but it’s what we do when there’s a diabetic who likes compote with morning yoghurt also.

What’s in your kitchen this month? Join the fun by posting to Celia’s  Fig Jam and Lime Cordial blog

p.s. All photos in this month’s In My Kitchen were taken with my iPhone 4s and are NOT retouched or fiddled about with. I’m very impressed!

56 Comments Add yours

1. I think I shall have to make toad in the hole for dinner tomorrow night.
    Have a wonderful July.🙂 Mandy xo

1. Misky says:

Thank you, and you too, Mandy. xx

2. Of course I don’t mind. whatever takes your fancy🙂 Think I will have to make this soon too – great comfort food and as you say lashings of onion gravy is compulsory!
    Your holdiay sounds delightful, I’ve always fancied visiting the small islands…. one day

1. Misky says:

I’ve tried many recipes for the pud but yours is by far the best.🙂

2. Misky says:

What sort of sausages do you use, Claire?

3. Misky, isn’t the iPhone impressive for photos? I’m always amazed by the quality coming from that tiny lens! Sounds like you had a lovely holiday, and that vase is the perfect souvenir, how cool that you got to watch it being blown! Toad in the hole looks splendid indeed..🙂

1. Misky says:

It’s good for certain types of photography, that’s for sure! Do you use Instagram?

4. I haven’t eaten toad in the hole for years, mainly because I’ve never had a good recipe. Seems that can be remedied now!
    Fresh cherries – how wonderfully delicious.

1. Misky says:

No cherry trees in your orchard, Anne?

5. Liz Posmyk of Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things says:

Misky, your getaway sounds fantastic! Loving all the good things in your kitchen. How plump are those cherries!

1. Misky says:

Juicy beyond description, Lizzy.

6. Francesca says:

Beautiful little vase and lovely cherries.

1. Misky says:

Thank you! I’m very pleased with my little vase.

2. Misky says:

I have meant to say many times, I love the door knocker associated with your avatar.

1. Francesca says:

Oh thanks- its an old photo taken somewhere in Italy!

7. Eha says:

Absolutely love your very unusual vase – so easy for simple flower arrangements too: reminds me of my old Kosta Boda pieces. Am smiling as to how reading stories like yours makes one look up and remember places from one’s past . . . also one of my dear blogfriends lives in Landskrona, Sweden, which by my calculations is just a tad NW of Bornholm . . .

1. Misky says:

I love Kosta Boda. I have a few pieces myself, bowls, vases, and a paperweight.

8. Glenda says:

Hi Misky, I love the light in the photo of the vase, which is lovely by the way.

Thanks, Glenda.🙂

9. Really impressive photography with the iPhone. Love that cherry compote. Mouth watering now for some toad in the hole comfort food!

1. Misky says:

We had some on yogurt last night. Very tasty!

10. Love that little vase….and the picture of the toad in the hole.

1. Misky says:

The picture isn’t half as tasty as the real thing.

11. Goes without saying that I’ll be needing an invite to your place next time you’re cooking Toad in the Hole. Also interested in your tip about a splash of vinegar to balance the Splenda. Something to keep in mind when using an artificial sweetner. Thanks for the tasty tour.

1. Misky says:

Amazingly, the taste of vinegar is completely unnoticeable. It just balances things out nicely.

12. chef mimi says:

So that’s what toad in the hole is! Thanks!

My pleasure, Mimi!

13. nancy@jamjnr says:

Fresh cherries from a neighbour’s tree? Lucky you. Love your new vase it looks very modern and how nice that every time you look at it it will remind you of your holiday.

1. Misky says:

Yes, it’s nice to have a memento along with those photographs. 🙂

14. Elizabeth says:

Oh My Goodness, Fresh Cherries… I so want to live next to your neighbour🙂
    I was bought up thinking that Toad in a Hole was a piece of bread with the centre cut out and an egg fried in it! Thanks for informing me I have been wrong all these years!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Liz x
    P.S. The vase is stunning!

1. Misky says:

Thank you, Elizabeth. Perhaps there’s more than one version of toad in the hole!

15. That vase is beautiful, and I love your fresh cherries🙂

Thanks, Tandy!

16. My Kitchen Stories says:

Wow thats some holiday you were on. I’d love to see that island. I didn’t realize thats what a proper toad in the whole looked like!. I love the vase it’s very modern.

17. julespaige says:

A few years back we went to a local Renaissance Fair that had a glass blower.
    I’ve taken to picking up square glass containers with and without lids. Eventually I’ll get some shelves up in my kitchen and be able to display my pastas and what ever else looks good.

Thanks for your visits. Even though I’m home – I’m caught up in family, holiday’s and yard work. Our grand-daughter will be celebrating her 1st birthday this weekend. And our country this Friday🙂 Happy summer to you.

Hopefully that estimate for the yard work will still keep us in a joyful mood.

1. Misky says:

It sounds like a delightful summer, Jules.

18. Kim Bultman says:

Misky, your flower arrangement is perfect in your custom-made vase! Simple and stunning. Cherries are in season here, too, but none of them have made it into the freezer or preserves yet😉 — nice that you & your neighbor mutually exchange produce! I love the idea of Toad in the Hole slathered with onion gravy, too…

1. Misky says:

The problem with cut flowers is that they never last very long. Sad but true. That little bouquet is already history.

19. oh that vase is just gorgeous. love your shots. i don’t have a whiz bang camera so use my iphone or ipad for my blog posts. they turn out quite well usually tho i am working on hubby to get me a new you beaut DSLR🙂

1. Misky says:

I’m so impressed with my little phone! It’s amazing.

20. Your holiday sounds divine. I love the story behind your vase. I think toad needs to be on the menu here in the next couple of weeks. Perfect for winter. Lucky you with fresh cherries.

Lucky us, indeed. They’re all gone now though. Delicious while they lasted. 🙂

21. Jennifer from Milk and Honey says:

I’ll take a toad in the hole with extra gravy.

22. G’day! I love cherries and always look forward to the season! Thank you for brightening my day with your flowers and also for this month’s kitchen view too!
    Cheers! Joanne

23. theintolerantchef says:

Lots of goodies indeed!

24. YUM! It’s been far too many years since I’ve eaten Toad in the Hole. And I love your little hand blown vase – gorgeous. A lovely memento from a holiday.

25. That toad looks fabulous – I am going to have to bookmark that recipe! I too use my iPhone for photos but I do edit the if the lighting is poor. Your lighting looks really lovely! Thanks for this peek into your kitchen!

Thanks, Selma!

26. Add an apple and a squeeze of lemon for the pectin, but you’d have to change the name!

27. Moya says:

How lovely to see your beautiful vase come to life and I am sure make it all that more special. Toad in the hole and a fresh cherry compote… it all sounds delicious in your kitchen. Thanks for sharing.🙂

28. I am very jealous of the fresh flowers and cherries. I am new to IMK so my post was a bit late. It is up now if you would like to read it. Emma.

29. Karen says:

My kitchen is very bare since we just returned from a holiday. Wish mine had as many good things in it as yours…especially your compote.

1. Misky says:

That compote WAS delicious. I must make more. Welcome home, Karen.

30. Misky I haven’t visited here for far too long. I need more hours in my day…yes, maybe I need to move to the lands of the midnight sun. At least a visit. How so very beautiful your island looks. I’d happily live in one of those windmills.

1. Misky says:

Aaah, how lovely to see you here again! Bornholm is gorgeous, and I hope that we’ll return there again one year. It’s likely, since we’re in Denmark visiting family at least once a year. It’s a very special place. 🙂

Please Leave a Comment. I'd Love to Hear From You.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s